Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 30, 2018

When you hit a photographic dead end

I haven't updated this blog in awhile because I hit a creative dead end with my photography.  I'm not shy to admit it because everyone, even the most seasoned photographer goes through this.

How you get out of it is another thing.  What works for one won't work for the other and so on.  What worked for me was a creative break into another medium, clay.  I think it was a reminder of why I started out with photography, creating worlds in photos, seeing things from a different view....

You tend to get bogged down with trying to keep up with the latest trend, what people like, how to keep clients happy, how to get prospective clients etc.  It kicks your fun right between the legs.

Anywho, while obsessively researching how to use Polymer clay and seeing some pretty amazing things, I felt my spark start to kindle.  I accidentally, or maybe unconsciously intentionally stumbled across some tutorials on using one speedlite to act as multiple light sources.  I only have one speedlite and attempts to make my own lights, while fairly successful, just couldn't give me that power I needed.

I will share two youtube videos by two photographers.  I would suggest watching Photigy's video because he discusses a topic that I've known about before but never really paid attention to until I hit my dead end....you don't need gear to get a shot.

You always want to do it right so you get the gear, what you can, but even then you still can't get the shots you want and that gets you down.

Remove the gear, keep it simple and build up from there.  Yes, having multiple light sources is great, but it can overwhelm you with having to think about where they need to go. Seasoned photographers have the advantage of knowing what to put where, most of the time and that's because they had to start with something basic and build it up.

If you find that things are frustrating you, take a step back and think about what you want to achieve.  Think about whether or not you really need so much gear (no one will look down on you for using the basics) to get that photo.

I tried the composite idea, I need to work on it lol.  But I actually had fun for once in a long time and that opened up further creative ideas.

With Photigy everything is done in camera using long exposure.
With Workphlo multiple shots are taken, then processed together in Photoshop.  Photoshop Elements or GIMP will also work fine but you do need a program that can handle layers.

For a DIY diffuser check this link share by Photigy.

No comments:

Post a Comment